BMW inaugurates training center in San Luis Potosi 

BMW inaugurates training center in San Luis Potosi 

Warning: foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given in /home/mexiconow/public_html/sites/mexiconow/wp-content/themes/mexiconowwpnew/single.php on line 253

As the construction of the new BMW assembly plant in San Luis Potosi keeps its course, company officials and local authorities inaugurated today the automaker’s training center which is part of a US$ 20 million investment to train the technicians who will work in the new complex.

Out of the total amount, US$ 9 million was spent on construction and equipment for the facility which is adjacent to the assembly plant, said Milagros Caina-Andree, member of the board of management of BMW AG and responsible for Human Resources and Labor Relations.

"We have six training centers in the world, but Mexico's is one of the most modern. For example, it is the only one that has a paint booth," explained Caina-Andree at the opening ceremony.

The 64,500 square feet facility has 11 workshops for the areas of mechatronics, mechanics, equipment maintenance and industrial productivity, as well as a leadership skills development area. From 2015 to date, BMW has trained 170 technicians, a figure which is expected to grow to 700 by 2019. 

BMW uses a dual education model, which consists of apprentices spending 70% of the time practicing at the company facilities and the remaining 30% at their university. "Once they finish this dual training, which lasts three years, they have a guaranteed job in the plant," said Hermann Bohrer, president and director of the San Luis Potosi complex and who actually began his career at BMW as a technician.

The new plant will start production in April 2019, recalled Bohrer, and will produce the seventh generation of the Series 3 model.


Related News

- Despite NAFTA uncertainty, BMW Mexican plant is 60% completed and going

- BMWs paint shop concept for San Luis Potosi awarded the ‘Prix de la Technique’ in France

- First generation of mechatronics technicians graduate from BMW program in Mexico

- BMW plant triggers US$ 398 million investments in San Luis Potosi