Mexico’s auto imports reach record high in first quarter 2017

Mexico’s auto imports reach record high in first quarter 2017

Warning: foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given in /home/mexiconow/public_html/sites/mexiconow/wp-content/themes/mexiconowwpnew/single.php on line 253

For the first time, Mexico’s auto imports surpassed the 200,000 units milestone in a three-month period. According to the Mexican Automotive Industry Association (AMIA) imports totaled 217,525 vehicles in first quarter 2017, up 12.6% compared to same period 2016.

During the period that ended March 31, 42% of units sold over the Mexican market were assembled in the country, while the rest 58% came from abroad. 

Imports from Asia have grown 50.8%, while those from U.S. and Canada increased 16.9% during the first quarter.

Korean affiliates Hyundai and Kia played a key role boosting Asian imports during the last 12 months. Hyundai sold 36,287 vehicles in 2016, plus the company already delivered 10,095 units in first quarter 2017, according to its latest figures.

For Kia things went even better, the automaker sold 58,112 vehicles during 2016. As for the first three months of 2017, the company already delivered 19,009 units.

Both companies together are now ranked fourth in market share with 7.7%, above Fiat Chrysler who owns 6.8% and Ford that stands at 5.5%. Nissan, General Motors and Volkswagen remain at top three positions in that particular order.


Related News

- Mexico’s auto production, exports reached record figures in March

- Here's how auto sales ended in March over the NAFTA region

- Here's how sales of built-in-Mexico cars performed during March in the U.S. market