This is how auto sales ended up in North America in 2018

This is how auto sales ended up in North America in 2018

Warning: foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given in /home/mexiconow/public_html/sites/mexiconow/wp-content/themes/mexiconowwpnew/single.php on line 253

Total North America auto sales were around 20.74 million light vehicles, of which 3.3 million units were manufactured in Mexico, representing a 15.9% share.

Mexico total auto production in 2018 was 3.9 million cars and light trucks, which means the remaining 0.6 million units were exported to markets outside North America.

Auto dealers in the U.S. market sold 1.64 million light vehicles in December, up 2.2% compared to same month of 2017, which led to an overall volume rise of 0.6% in 2018, according to figures from AutoNews.

Total sales throughout 2018 were of 17.33 million units, the fourth highest figure on record. Robust discounts and steady economic growth, but also strong fleet sales were determinant to boost deliveries, analysts say.

The U.S. represents the main destination for Mexico automotive exports. United States auto imports from Mexico totaled 2,566,701 units in 2018, representing a 9.9% rise versus 2017 figures and accounting for 74.4% of total shipments. The market share of Mexico-made vehicles in the U.S. was of 14.8% in 2018.

Auto sales in Canada dropped 8% in December, confirming last year's overall decline in light vehicle sales from the record hit a year earlier, said DesRosiers Automotive Consultants Inc. 

The auto consultant said 114,289 vehicles were sold in December, compared to 124,247 from the same month last year, which represents a tenth straight month of declines, including 12.1% for passenger car sales and 6.5% for light trucks. 

Total light vehicles sales for 2018 came in at 1.985 million, down 2.6% from the record 2.039 million vehicles sold a year earlier.

Mexico auto exports second most important destination is Canada with 248,557 vehicles imported in 2018. This figure is actually 7% lower compared to the previous year and represents a 7.2% share of Mexican exports, down from 8.2% in 2017.

In 2018, Mexico-made vehicles accounted for around 12.5% of total auto sales in the Canadian market.

Auto dealers in Mexico sold 141,963 light vehicles in December for a total of 1,421,458 units throughout the year, which represents drops of 10.7% and 7.1%, respectively, compared to same periods of 2017.

According to data from the Mexican Automotive Industry Association (AMIA), 34.6% of total auto sales were Mexico-made vehicles, which is equivalent to 491,824 units, while the remaining 65.4% (929,634 units) were imported vehicles.



- Official figures claim Mexico auto production fell in 2018, but key data is missing

- Mexico auto exports reach new record high in 2018

- Here’s how sales of Mexico-made cars ended up in the US market during 2018