Volkswagen schedules production of eighth-generation Golf for June 2019

Volkswagen schedules production of eighth-generation Golf for June 2019

Warning: foreach() argument must be of type array|object, bool given in /home/mexiconow/public_html/sites/mexiconow/wp-content/themes/mexiconowwpnew/single.php on line 253

Production of the eighth-generation Volkswagen Golf will in 75 weeks, the automaker announced at a summit with representatives of 120 supplier companies.

Company officials said the VW’s Wolfsburg facility will remain the flagship site for Golf production, but the unit will continue to be produced elsewhere in the world. Thus, reports that the German automaker will end Golf production at the Puebla assembly plant are still unconfirmed. 

Of the 120 suppliers, 80% are already making parts for the Golf’s current version. Whether the other 20% will replace existing suppliers that didn't make the cut or will produce completely new components for the Golf remains unclear.

The automaker said it is spending US$ 2.2 billion developing the new Mk8 model. Overseeing the development is Karlheinz Hell, who heads the compact car division at VW. He said the car will feature self-driving technology, a digital instrument cluster, and much greater connectivity than in any past generations. 

“The next Golf will take Volkswagen into the era of fully connected vehicles with extended autonomous driving functions,” Hell said. “It will always be online, and its digital cockpit and assistance systems will be the benchmark in terms of connectivity and safety.”

The new Golf is expected to ride on an updated version of the Volkswagen Group's MQB platform designed for compact cars and non-premium mid-size models.


Related News

- Volkswagen debuts the all-new 2019 Jetta in Detroit

- Volkswagen production in Mexico up 11.2% in 2017; exports hike 15.6%

- Volkswagen Golf family makes “10 Best” Car & Driver list for the 12th time in a row